Monday, August 22, 2011

Leaving my blood in Koutiala


 A 9 year old girl showed up at the hospital this morning complaining of diffuse pain.  We were already planning to run multiple screening samples for sickle cell disease today so we added her blood sample to the run.  Her test showed hemoglobin SC, a type of sickle cell disease that is usually milder but can have exacerbations.  She was in severe pain and her hemoglobin was dropping (Hb of 6), so a transfusion was necessary.  She is Apos, which is my blood type, so I gave my first pint of blood in Africa.  The Malian lab guys jokingly asked me if she would turn white after receiving blood from a Tubabu (white person).  I replied that it would be a slow process, like Michael Jackson.

 Allison, I promise that they used a clean needle.
Riding home from the hospital on top of the MacLean's car.

7 comments:

  1. I was having the same thoughts Allison probably was--glad you reassured her! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. The michael jackson comparison is making me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are the seat belts ? Alan , you do look a little darker - probably the sun. It's wonderful that your blood type matched with the girl in distress.
    John and Chase returned to New York from Ireland yesterday to find that their flight to Charlotte had been cancelled due to weather. They ended up renting a minivan and driving home to Charlotte - spent the night and back home around 2 PM this afternoon.
    Alan, Mom and I will drive to Atlanta Friday after work and probably meet you at the Marta Station at Peachtree Hills. We( Mom and I) can drive the 2 cars back to Greenville so you won't have to spend the night there. We know that you will be anxious to get home. Let us know what you think.
    Much love and prayers,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you were a good patient!!! I bet you missed having emla cream!! Cannot wait to hear all your stories when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alan,
    What a gift to give a pint of your blood! It must be a wonderful
    feeling to know that you're helping the little girl very quickly to
    feel better! Do trust the supplies are sterile so no problem later
    with that! Keep up all the good work! Everyone is missing you back home!

    Love, John and Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Alan:
    An amazing story you sharing with your pictures and blog! Allison got some new competition. You are definitely God's conduit with the good work you and your team are doing there. I bet those five fingers are coming in handy!
    Mauldin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Anderson,
    What a blessing you have been there. I know they are going to be so sad to see you come home, but I am sure your girls and Abe are so excited to see you.

    We have you in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing your experiences there!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete